Monday, September 20, 2010

Prelude: The drive up

Written Wednesday, Sept. 15

Nicole is driving on I-84 East, and I'm sitting in the passenger seat, looking at all-too familiar scenery as I go by. I marvel at how in just one week, we will be riding bicycles through this corner of Connecticut. How marvelous indeed . . .


We switch drivers in Massachusetts. We pull over at an interstate rest stop. Before the engine gets cold all three of of us (Nicole, her brother Steve and I) have taken our bathroom breaks and the car is back on the road.

Time flies, and yet it feels like eons as we drive through Massachusetts, New Hampshire and southern Maine. We stop in Portland to eat at Becky's Diner. Not fast food--it's good food fast. Becky's opens promptly every morning at 4 am, often serving fish platters to the very workers who do the fishing. Nicole and Steve both order haddock chowder (a popular local catch). I go for my usual tuna melt and we are on our way.


We gas up in what feels like the middle of nowhere. I've had it with driving and ask if anyone else wants a turn at the wheel. Steve, who's been playing with his Smart Phone for four and half hours eagerly agrees. He takes the driver's seat and I move to the back of the car, sit horizontally and put my feet up.

We keep driving. We've left I-95 behind and drive through a small town. Eventually we see a rather stately looking building on our left.

"Is that the capitol?" I ask.
"I don't know," says Nicole.

Steve keeps driving and we see our answer: we are at the intersection of State and Capitol streets!

We approach Bar Harbor. Nicole and I both express excitement--somewhat nervously--that these are roads we will be riding tomorrow.


Sunset over Sargent Mountain--200 feet shorter than its Cadillac cousin.

We reach Acadia. Steve spots our first wild animal of the tour: a striking buck. It crosses the road and disappears into the trees as quickly as we see it. We take some photos of Cadillac Mountain and the sunset on our way to the campground. After some confusion, we finally reach our destination. While there is still daylight left, we stake down our tent and say goodbye to Steve. Nicole is so sad to see her brother (and the car) go away.

Only 7:30 now and it is dark out. To quote Yogi Berra, it gets late early out here.

And so our journey begins . . .
View of Bar Harbor from Acadia's Maine Road just before sunset

1 comment: