Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Adventures in rack fitting--never problem free

I got my front rack and panniers in last Wednesday. I was as giddy as a schoolboy until it actually came to putting the rack on the front fork.

Nicole and I each decided we wanted to go with Arkel's base model front rack. Both of our bike forks have eyelets for such a rack. It seemed like a such a perfect fit . . .

Sadly, searching for perfection on a self-contained bike tour is a fruitless endeavor. Although I was able to set up Nicole's rack without any difficulty, my rack became a series of sorrows and triumphs, followed by more sorrows and triumphs.

Problem number 1 was that the lower eyelet by the quick release couldn't accept a bolt. I tried screwing it in, but the bolt would only go in somewhat sideways, after which I couldn't turn in any more. Dejected, I put the bike aside and sat on the couch feeling listless.

The story is nearly painful to retell, so I shall merely summarize: Nate cheerful, chipper, and happy to re tap the threads to fit the bolt into place. Excited, I tried putting the rack on, only to find that the rack would hit my disc brake caliper. Either I had to get rim brakes or a new rack.

That's where I am now. On the one hand, I have contemplated swapping out my STI shifters for bar-end shifters. Doing so would allow me to run V-brakes on the bike. I have also considered slightly narrower handlebars for a more appropriate bike fit.

On the other hand, I can save money keeping the components that I have. I like the convenience of my STI shifters, and Arkel makes a disc brake compatible rack that mounts on the v-brake posts and through the axle. It also doubles as splash guard, so my quick release half fender would be sufficient to protect the bike and me in the rain.

I'll make a decision by the end of the week. Until then, I'll be riding with just one set of panniers. They are marvelous, which only makes the wait for the front rack solution all the more agonizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment