Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Riding fully loaded part 1

As soon as I installed my front rack, I hastily gathered nearly everything I would take with me and just bundled them up in my panniers. Stove, tent, sleeping bag, casual clothing, bike clothing and multi tool. I tentatively guessed weight distribution. Without testing it, I put the panniers on the racks and rode out the door.

I decided to test to test riding with such a heavy load up Highland Road, the second mile of the Manchester Road Race. Known for it's long hill, Highland Road isn't particularly steep but it is a consistent incline that last about a mile and rises about 300 feet.

I started smiling as I pedaled. Feels great, I thought. Nothing I can't handle. I pushed the lever to downshift into my lowest gear. Nothing happened. I pushed again, smiling at my realization. I already was in my lowest gear, squeezing the lever the a way a b-movie star keeps pulling the trigger even though he realizes he's out of ammo. Oops!

I still managed to climb the hill, but since my cassette is showing signs of wear, I will likely replace it with a cassette that has slightly lower gearing. Either way, I will have legs of steel when this trip is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment