Friday, September 10, 2010

I get an e-mail from a friend

I just received an e-mail from my friend Chris Leland, who will be riding with Nicole and me for the first week of the trip:

"I'm going to start my trek to Acadia on Sunday. Gives me 4 days to arrive at Acadia on the 15th. Spend the night then meet with you on the 16th.

I plan stops in Lewiston and Camden and possibly one other depending on how I feel and weather.

I should admit I have never ridden less in my life leading up to this. Ive ridden perhaps 200 miles since the initial planning and haven't ridden a single mile in a month now. After a day of vomiting and pain I should be alright. At least I hope I will be alright.

Should be fun."

Sounds Great!!

I met Chris through Dave (he is the one getting married) when we were in college. By then, Chris had been trained by the United Bicycle Institute in Oregon and had quite a collection of his own bikes: a good road bike (Giant OCR 2), a good mountain bike (a Voodoo Hoodoo), and a cadre of bikes that were constantly being worked on, some built from the frame up, others mere garbage that would be salvaged for parts, sold on craigslist, or merely abandoned on our front doorstep. Chris introduced me to the joys of road biking, and that fall I decided to purchase an OCR touring, in hopes that upon graduation I would ride my bike across the country.

It's been six long years, but within a matter of days, this joy will become a reality. I recommended Chris try some Recoverite, an after-workout drink that works pretty well.

And yes, Nicole is quite relieved to hear that Chris is out of shape.

By this time next week, we will be sleeping under the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment