Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Riding fully loaded part 2: Commuting to work

I've spent the last four days riding two and from work with my fully loaded bike. It's been quite an experience.

Saturday, day one in this venture, marked the first time riding to work with my new setup. Not knowing what to expect, I left an extra 15 minutes early to give me a hefty buffer.

It took my 40 minutes to arrive, as opposed to my usual 36. Not bad. Later, Nate wanted to weigh the bike to see how much I was hauling.

"51 and half pounds!" He exclaimed.

"God, that's heavy," I said.

"Not really. Most people who are touring have about 75 pounds when all is said and done."

I guess that aircraft grade aluminum silverware set was worth the investment.

Day 2 was Sunday. This time I was fully loaded. I had the tent poles and ground cloth as well as my sleeping bag bungee-ed to the rear rack.  I could camp overnight if I wanted to now.

I certainly turned some heads. As I pulled off the Charter Oak Greenway an onto Manchester Road, a group of about four cyclists saw me and waved. I waved back and pedaled along with them.

"We're you going?" On of them asked.

"Florida," I said.

"Florida! You're going to Florida?"

"Well, " I had to clarify. I let them know that today was just a training to work. We shared stories, exchanged web sites and they wished my luck as I pedaled along.

People in cars noticed me as well. Sunday drivers in their street rods and vintage muscle cars smiled and waved. Everyone gave me the right of way. Such treatment! I felt like a king.

Then came Monday. Again I rode. At the end of the workday, Nicole rode her bike complete with full load to meet me. Instead of riding straight back, we rode to Cotton Hollow Preserve in South Glastonbury and went wading in the water. It was too rocky for standing, though and too shallow for swimming (at least where we were). We decided to head back, knowing that there would be much opportunity for swimming trips in due time. By the time we got back to our apartment, we had each ridden 20 miles--about half what we expect to ride on our first three days.

Tuesday. Yesterday. I woke up feeling like I had a very, very, very slight hangover. I was more worried psychologically than physically. If 20 miles feels like this, what does 60 miles feel like?

I rode to work anyway, but asked that Nicole pick me up in car rather than bike today. She agreed. The forecast called for nearly hundred degree heat, and I wasn't going to risk heat stroke for the sake of training.

When I got to work, John noticed that I was a little bit spacier than normal. I told him how much I'd like to take a nap on the floor and the worry that it caused me.

"Hey," he smiled. "At least your not in pain!"

Well said. Today was Wednesday. To hot to ride. Another day off. Two weeks to go until Nicole and I are greeted by fresh ocean breezes almost daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment