Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cabin Fever in Connecticut

Another day snowed in. Another day has me saying, " Oh I wish I wish I wish I had a Trek Rumblefish.

I can't tell if that's my car or somebody's minivan in the snow.
Last week Nicole and I were completely snowbound, solely because the company that our apartment manager contracted for snow removal didn't bother to show up until the following day. It's time's like these that I just like to pretend that I live at an exotic, remote European Ski Resort.

Today's weather is even more travel restrictive: nothing but pure sleet for several hours. Alas, another day forced indoors has lent to another day yearning for continued bicycle exploration.

Our recent hiking trip in Rensselaerville has lead me to cogitate another bike tour. We could roll right out of our apartment complex onto the Charter Oak Greenway and head east towards Hartford, cross over the Founder's Bridge, through Bushnell Park and spend a night in Torrington, Connecticut before heading northbound.


Dreaming of rent credits . . .
From Torrington, we could head northward, resting at the Appalachian Trail and then again at one of the many campgrounds at the foot of the Catskills before heading north to Renssaerville, resting for the night at the lovely Hotel Petrecek in Middleburgh.

But as the great Homer Simpson once said, "You can't go this far and not go farther!" Middleburgh is only about a day so by bicycle from the Erie Canal Trail. We could head west, enjoy New York's scenic wine country in the finger lakes and press on until Niagra Falls!


And heck, why not ride through Canada and into Michigan while we're at it?
To adapt to the snow, this car apparently grew a dorsal fin

If you give a mouse a cookie . . .


On the other hand, the other half of the East Coast Bike tour beckons. Nicole says that her adventure urges are satisfied for the time being, but 2011 may yet well be an eventful year to explore South Carolina. You might have noticed, I'm somewhat of a Civil War buff, and this year will mark the 150th anniversary of the attack on Fort Sumter. It seems like to big an event to ignore.



What do you think we should do? (Let us know by taking our poll in the top right corner!)

No comments:

Post a Comment